What is required?
When transferring the possession of a deer or turkey (whole or part) that has been harvested in Alabama, written documentation of that transfer is required by law.
How it works?
If you transfer possession of your deer or turkey harvest (whole or part) to any other person, taxidermist or deer processor, you must provide them with written documentation of the transfer when they take possession of the animal.
Hunters are responsible for reporting all of their deer and turkey harvests through Game Check within 48 hours of harvest or prior to transfer of possession. The person receiving the animal is responsible for keeping the required written documentation while the animal is in their possession.
The written documentation must include:
- Full name of the person who harvested the animal
- Conservation ID number (CID) of the person who harvested the animal
- Game Check Confirmation Number associated with that animal
- Date the animal was harvested
Acceptable forms of documentation:
- Any piece of paper with the required information is acceptable.
- The new Deer/Turkey Transfer of Possession Certificate is provided as a convenient way for a hunter to document the transfer of possession of their deer or turkey harvest to any other person, taxidermist or deer processor.
- The Deer/Turkey Transfer of Possession Certificate is available for download below.